Backing up data
New users – For more information about Sheep Manager read the Getting started and Enhancement guides. These can be found under the Guides & manuals tab. You will also find answers and useful information under the FAQs tab.
Existing users – For more information about this update please read the Enhancement guide carefully before updating. Before you start the installation process check that your licence is up to date and that you have taken a backup of your data. You will also need to make sure the program has been closed.
Windows 8 and Windows 10 operating systems only*
*Please note – Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, meaning future versions of Sheep Manager will not install onto Windows 7 machines. Please contact Farmplan to discuss upgrading your PC if this is applicable.
Summary of changes
- Holdings – various enhancements to support the changes in the way holdings are recorded
- Group Services for batches of animals
- Put to Sire – select not owned and reference animals
- Woodhead Brothers – FCI Declaration Form
- Lambing Status report – ability to add date of birth of dam
If you have a hand held device please also update your Animal Logger and Virtual Stick Modules
This must be updated at the same time as the main program. Please ensure all information is read from the device before you update.
Handheld device update
When to backup your data
When to Backup will depend on the volume of data that is being entered and individual circumstances. However it is recommended that a portable copy is made frequently and kept away from the computer.
Additional copying will depend on the user – perhaps make a hard disk copy every hour and a web backup or portable copy at the end of the day. But do not overwrite these copies immediately; rotate a series of at least 3 backups always overwriting the most out of date copy.
It is extremely important to label each copy clearly with the exact details of what is on it – the dataset name, date/time and, for example, some details that remind you of the last entry made.
Compatible stick readers
The below stick readers are compatible with Farmplan (please note this may not include all models):
- Agrident stick reader (including AWR100)
- Allflex stick reader (including RS340 and RS420)
- Farmplan virtual stick (Psion/Workabout Pro)
- Gallagher stick reader (including HR3 but not the HR5)
- Shearwell stick reader (including SDL 400 and SDL 440)
- Syscan stick reader
- Trutest stick reader (including XRS, XRS2 and SRS2)
To select which stick reader you are importing tag records from please go to Tools, Options and Stick reader from within your program.
If you are looking to purchase a new stick reader and it is not listed above then please contact Farmplan prior to purchase.
Retagging sheep on the Workabout Pro (Psion)
Importing from a stick reader
Speed Mode on the Workabout Pro (Psion)
Ewes and lambs
Entering a stillborn
To record the birth of a non-viable lamb against a ewe:
- Open the Ewes’ animal record card
- Click the Breeding tab
- Click New Lambing and enter the date of birth
- Record the number of ‘Stillborn’ or ‘Died before identified’ animals
The ‘Lambing History’ report will include all births marked as Stillborn.
- Open the Animal Record Card for the lamb
- Click on the Parents and progeny tab across the middle of the lamb’s card
- Here you will see the detail for the wrong Birth dam
- Click on the box containing 3 dots to the right of this record
- In the next window that opens either click on the Clear button at the bottom left of the window to break the link to the wrong ewe, or simply select the correct ewe from the list
Click on OK and Save in the next window.
Import weights from a compatible CSV file
To import weighings from a File:
- Select Import/Export Wizard from the File menu and select Weighings from the category list.
- Highlight Import Cattle/Sheep Weighings from a compatible CSV file.
- Click on Next.
- Click on the box with three dots located at the top of the screen next to specify the name and location of the file that you want to use.
- Click on the drop down arrows in the look in box and navigate to where you have stored the file.
- Click on the Read button.
- After checking that the list is correct click on Next to continue.
If you are having difficulties importing please check the file format shows with the columns Date (DD/MM/YYYY), IDTag (with either the official tag of EID number) and Weight
Installation and logging on
Operating systems (Windows and Apple information)
All our desktop programs need to be installed within a Windows environment (Windows 8 and Windows 10). Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, meaning you will not be able to install onto Windows 7 machines.
Please contact Farmplan’s Hardware teams if you have any further queries on 01594 545022.
Licencing your livestock software (video)
Licencing Farmplan software
Your software can be licenced by going to File and selecting Licence.
You will be given a new screen where you will have your details entered. Providing your Web Access Code has been entered, you can click Get Key followed by Register.
Your licence will then be updated. To allow Farmplan to update using this method you will need to be connected to the internet.
If you do not have a Web Access Code or internet connection please contact Farmplan.
Excluding or filtering reports
If you are looking to run a report but you want to filter by a group of animals or you want to exclude a group of animals you can do this by following the below steps:
1. Open the report library
2. Select your report
3. Select the required information, for example Sort by: Official tag or DOB
4. Select the group of animals you want. This can be done by ticking the required filter on the right
5. If you would like to select all animals except animals in a particular filter you can right click on the heading and select Exclude. Once ticked, these animals will then not be shown in the report.
Report on homebred animals only
To report on homebred animals only select the required report then click ‘Next’. Now within the ‘Animal Filters’ area right click the word ‘Purchases’ then select ‘Exclude’.
The screen now shows ‘(Ex) Purchases’ rather then the normal ‘Purchases’.
When the report is run it will only show homebred animals.
My program is showing Demonstration Data, how do I access my data?
If your program is showing Demonstration Data you will need to go to File > Select Dataset within the program and click the drop down arrow (shown below in red) and select your own business before pressing Ok. This will then take you into your business.
If your data is on a Network please ensure you have access to the data location from outside the program.
To establish which version of Sheep Manager is in use:
- Go to the Help menu
- Click on About Sheep Manager
The program version and your Farmplan customer number will be displayed.
Deleting a batch containing sold animals
This link can be broken by doing the following:
- From the List Bar on the left side of the Homepage, select Setup and click on Cattle (or Sheep) Batches
- Double click on the Batch to be deleted to view the animals in it
To find the linked animal:
- Double click on an animal in the Batch to open its Animal Record Card
- Select the Life History Tab
- Double click on the line recording the Sale of this animal to open the Sale Record
- Click Edit Animals
- Click on the animal in the sale
- At the bottom left of the screen there is a drop down list headed Batch, make sure this says <No batch>
- Click on Update to save any changes
Once all sold animals in the sale are not linked to a batch, the batch can be deleted by clicking the ‘Delete’ button.
Medicine not appearing
There are 2 things to check here:
- Click on Treatments on the List Bar on the left of the main screen, then select Products
- Make sure the drop down list on the main screen toolbar is selected to show All products
- Double click on the product line where it appears on the main screen to open the record card
- At the bottom left of the window, under the heading Licencing and usage, make sure the option I want to use this product on sheep is ticked
- Below this option, under the heading Product status, tick the box to show that this is an Active product
- Save any changes that have been made then Close this window.
The second thing to check:
- Click on Treatments on the List Bar on the left of the main screen, then select Medicine Cupboard
- Make sure the drop down list on the main screen toolbar is selected to show All stock
- Double click on the product line with the correct batch number where it appears on the main screen to open the record card
- Click on Edit on the Toolbar of the Medicine Cupboard window that opens
- Make sure there is a tick in the Active stock option at the top of the next window
- Save any changes that have been made then Close this window
You should now be able to record the use of this medicine
Recording a treatment for a not-owned animal
It is possible to enter a treament for animals which are on your holding but not owned by you.
Open a treatment record card and record the date, product used etc in the usual way. Click ‘Select Animals’ and in the ‘Show’ box at the top change the selection displayed from ‘My animals only’ to ‘On my holdings only’. This will allow you to select not-owned animals for a treatment.
Treatments with different rates
Yes. Record the treatment as usual and select the animals that were treated.
On the right hand side of the entry screen, ensure that neither of the two options ‘Enter total quantity used’ or ‘Use same quantity for all’ are selected.
Click ‘Enter Quantities’, select the animal(s) and enter the amount in the ‘Quantity used per animal’ box.
Click ‘Update’, ‘OK’, then ‘Save‘.
Record the first treatment as usual and Save.
To repeat the treatment:
- Click on ‘Treatments’ on the List Bar on the left of the main screen, then select ‘Drug Treatments’
- Double click on the treatment to repeat on the main screen to open the record card
- Click on the ‘Repeat Treatment’ button at the bottom right of the window.
Here you can enter a different Date and time of treatment: and a different Product used: or Batch number: if necessary.
Once the changes have been made, click on ‘Save’.
NB Once the Drug Treatment is saved, you can edit the selected animals.