How often should I back up my Livestock Manager data?
When to Backup will depend on the volume of data that is being entered and individual circumstances. However it is recommended that a portable copy is made frequently and kept away from the computer.
Additional copying will depend on the user – perhaps make a hard disk copy every hour and a portable copy at the end of the day. But do not overwrite these copies immediately; rotate a series of 3 backups always overwriting the most out of date copy.
It is extremely important to label each copy clearly with the exact details of what is on it – the dataset name, date/time and, for example, some details that remind you of the last entry made.
How do I back up my Livestock Manager data?
On completing data entry and before closing the program:
- Click ‘File’ then ‘Backup’
- The business name to be backed up will appear on the left under ‘Select a dataset to backup:’
- Navigate to the desired backup location.
- Click ‘Backup Now’
- When the backup is complete click Close.
Click here for a demo about backing up your Farmplan data online.
How do I add a twin after one calf has been entered?
- Open the Dams record card & select the Breeding tab
- Now select the Previous births tab and then highlight the 1 Live calf already entered & click Edit calving
- Now select New from the right hand side and enter the details as required of the twin, Update & Save. This will create 2 lives calves against the dam and ping up another birth to be registered on the home page for you.
- The previous births will then show as follows: 2 live calves.
I have a cow that has given birth to a calf which has died. How do I enter this on Livestock Manager?
To record the birth of a non-viable calf against the cow:
- Open the Dams’ animal record card and select the ‘Breeding’ tab
- Click ‘New Calving’ and enter the calving date
- From the drop down list available select a number for ‘Stillborn’ or ‘Died before identified’
Both the ‘Current Calves’ report and the ‘Calving History’ report will include non-viable births.
I’ve purchased a cow and calf. How do I link the calf to its dam in Cattle Manager?
This can be done when recording the purchase.
- Create a new purchase record and enter the details of the cow and her calf
- Click ‘Next’ to move to the ‘Enter Dam and Sire Details’ window
- Click on the calf’s record at the top of the window
- In the bottom half of the window, click on the square box with 3 dots to the right of the ‘Birth dam:’ line
- In the ‘Search Options’ at the top left of the next window, make sure you select ‘Search this purchase only’. This window will now only list the cows purchased with the calf
- Select the dams’ record and click ‘OK’
Continue recording the purchase as usual.
Cows on my holding have calved, but I can’t find them to link to their calves.
Cows that calve must be in the Breeding Heifers or Cows category. If they are shown as calves or Store/Finishing animals they must be transferred to the correct category.
- Click the ‘Entries’ drop down menu select ‘Actions’ followed by ‘Cattle Transfers’
- Alternatively, click ‘Actions’ on the List Bar on the left of the main screen, then select ‘Cattle Transfers’
- Click ‘New’ and enter the transfer.
IMPORTANT Ensure the Transfer date is at least one day before the animal calved.
How do I retag sheep using the Workabout Pro (Psion)
How do I retag cattle using the Workabout Pro (Psion)
How do I use the Speed Mode on the Workabout Pro (Psion)
I have a ewe that has given birth to a lamb which has died.
To record the birth of a non-viable lamb against a ewe:
- Open the Ewes’ animal record card
- Click the ‘Breeding’ tab
- Click ‘New Lambing’ and enter the date of birth
- Record the number of ‘Stillborn’ or ‘Died before identified’ animals
The ‘Lambing History’ report will include all births marked as Stillborn.
I’ve linked the wrong lamb to a ewe. How can I correct this?
- Open the Animal Record Card for the lamb
- Click on the Breeding Tab across the middle of the lamb’s card
- Here you will see the detail for the wrong Birth ewe
- Click on the box containing 3 dots to the right of this record
- In the next window that opens either click on the Clear button at the bottom left of the window to break the link to the wrong ewe, or simply select the correct ewe from the list
Click on OK and Save in the next window.
Import from Dovecote Park
- Create a new folder in a known location on your PC called ‘Dovecote downloads’ or similar
- Log onto the Dovecote Park website & click on ‘Classification Documents’
- Choose the date of the sale you wish to extract data for & click on View Farmplan Report. Each sale has its own file so you may wish to download more than one at this stage.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of animals, there is an option to save the details as a csv file, save this into the folder you created earlier on your PC.
- Within the program the sale needs to have been entered with a tick against the ‘sold for slaughter’ box and the ‘15 point classification grid’ option selected.
- Go to Import via File> Import Export wizard > Dovecote Park > next
- Browse to the file at the top of the screen and click on Read. This will populate any carcase classification grades and prices.
How do I record the purchase/sale of an animal that is not moving on or off my holding?
Purchase and Sale entry windows both have a tick box, at the top left of the first window, to record Moved at the time of sale. Remove the tick from this box if a movement did not take place at the time of purchase/sale. No movement notification will be generated, but the animal(s) will show as no longer being owned by you.
In the case of Purchases, this option can only be used for existing not owned animals.
If an animal is not moved at the time of Sale, you must remember to enter a Movement between Holdingswhen they leave your holding, otherwise they will continue to be shown as on farm.
I’ve recorded an on or off movement against the wrong animal. How can I change this?
I’ve recorded an on or off movement against the wrong animal. How can I change this?
Firstly, telephone BCMS and tell them of your mistake and give them the correct details.
- You cannot correct your Cattle Manager record
- Telephone Farmplan software support on 01594 545022 with details of the error
- Backup your current data and email the backup file to email@example.com with your customer number and full details of the movement and ear tag number to be altered
The amendment will be made and your data backed up and returned to you as quickly as possible.
My Homepage says there are Cattle Movements that need to be notified, but BCMS have already been notified. How can I clear these?
To clear unwanted movement notifications:
• Click the ‘Entries’ drop down menu and select ‘BCMS’ followed by ‘Cattle Movement Notifications’
• Click ‘New’, enter the correct date, then select ‘Manual Notification (postcard / website)’ from the ‘Type of Action’ drop down list.
• Click ‘Select Animals’ and the movements waiting to be notified should appear. Tick the movements which have been notified.
• Click ‘OK’ and then ‘Save’. The number of outstanding Movement Notifications on your Homepage has now been amended.
I’ve hired a bull. How do I record it coming on and off my holding?
If this is the first time the bull has come onto your holding, do the following:
- From the Entries drop down menu select Animal Movements followed by Create Not Owned Animals
- Alternatively, click on Animal Movements on the List Bar on the left of the main screen, then select Create Not Owned Animals
- Click on New on the main Toolbar at the top of the Cattle Manager screen to open the data entry window
- Click on New on the toolbar of the data entry window that opens
- Complete the details of the date the animal moved onto your holding and the details of the location it came from
- Click on Enter Animals at the bottom left of the window
- Enter the record for the animal coming onto your holding
- Continue through the data entry windows clicking on Next to proceed to the next window and Finish to create the entry. The bull can be viewed by clicking on the link to Breeding Bulls, either from your Homepage or from the Cattle Inspector on the left of your main screen. Make sure the drop down list on the main screen toolbar is selected to show On my holding only. The status of the animal will be showing as Not owned by me and on my holding. Record a Movement Between Holdings to return the bull to it’s home location when it leaves your holding.
If the hire bull has been on your holding before:
- Simply record a Movement Between Holdings to bring him back onto your holding.
Is it possible to report on homebred animals only?
To report on homebred animals only select the required report then click ‘Next’. Now within the ‘Animal Filters’ area right click the word ‘Purchases’ then select ‘Exclude’.
The screen now shows ‘(Ex) Purchases’ rather then the normal ‘Purchases’.
When the report is run it will only show homebred animals.
I am trying to delete a Batch containing animals that have all left my holding. I am getting a message that says the Batch cannot be deleted because the sale of some of the animals is linked to it.
This link can be broken by doing the following:
- From the List Bar on the left side of the Homepage, select Setup and click on Cattle (or Sheep) Batches
- Double click on the Batch to be deleted to view the animals in it
To find the linked animal:
- Double click on an animal in the Batch to open its Animal Record Card
- Select the Life History Tab
- Double click on the line recording the Sale of this animal to open the Sale Record
- Click Edit Animals
- Click on the animal in the sale
- At the bottom left of the screen there is a drop down list headed Batch, make sure this says <No batch>
- Click on Update to save any changes
Once all sold animals in the sale are not linked to a batch, the batch can be deleted by clicking the ‘Delete’ button.
How do I access a new Cattle Breed code?
If recording the purchase or birth of an animal of a breed you have not previously owned:
- Create the record card in the usual way
- Click ‘New’ and enter the details of the animal
- Right click in the empty ‘Breed’ drop down list and left click on ‘Show all breeds’.
- Select the Breed you now wish to use – this will make the breed Active and always available in the drop down list when breeds are selected.
Breed codes can be viewed and made active:
- Click on ‘Setup’ on the List Bar, then select ‘Cattle Breeds’.
- The drop down list on the main window toolbar allows you to view ‘All cattle breeds’ or ‘Active Cattle breeds only’. In here select ‘All cattle breeds’
- Double click on a breed to open its card – here the breed can be marked Active or Inactive
Click on ‘Reassign Animals’ to change the breed code of previously entered animals.
How do I record a treatment for a not-owned animal?
It is possible to enter a treament for animals which are on your holding but not owned by you.
Open a treatment record card and record the date, product used etc in the usual way. Click ‘Select Animals’ and in the ‘Show’ box at the top change the selection displayed from ‘My animals only’ to ‘On my holdings only’. This will allow you to select not-owned animals for a treatment.
I have treated a group of animals with the same drug, but at different rates. Can I record this in the same entry?
Yes. Record the treatment as usual and select the animals that were treated.
On the right hand side of the entry screen, ensure that neither of the two options ‘Enter total quantity used’ or ‘Use same quantity for all’ are selected.
Click ‘Enter Quantities’, select the animal(s) and enter the amount in the ‘Quantity used per animal’ box.
Click ‘Update’, ‘OK’, then ‘Save‘.
How do I deal with TB testing?
Click here for a printable document which details how to deal with TB testing.
Is there a quick way to record a course of treatments to a group of animals?
Record the first treatment as usual and Save.
To repeat the treatment:
- Click on ‘Treatments’ on the List Bar on the left of the main screen, then select ‘Drug Treatments’
- Double click on the treatment to repeat on the main screen to open the record card
- Click on the ‘Repeat Treatment’ button at the bottom right of the window.
Here you can enter a different Date and time of treatment: and a different Product used: or Batch number: if necessary.
Once the changes have been made, click on ‘Save’.
NB Once the Drug Treatment is saved, you can edit the selected animals.